Fwd: [Kolab-devel] Non-standard IMAP flags in KMail

Volker Krause volker at kdab.net
Fri Sep 14 12:29:39 CEST 2007

Forwarded here as suggested by Bernhard.

Subject: [Kolab-devel] Non-standard IMAP flags in KMail
Date: Monday 10 September 2007
From: Volker Krause <volker at kdab.net>
To: kolab-devel at kolab.org

Hi,

we have been implemeting support for storing all message status flags of KMail
on a Kolab server. So far only standard IMAP flags (seen, answered,
important) haven been stored there. For the non-standard flags (todo,
forwarded, ignored, watched) I have been looking at what IMAP flags other
mail clients use for that, with the following results:

- Outlook 2007 is claimed to support only one flag for IMAP items, no idea if
this is correct (I don't have it here to test it myself), but it would mean
there is no support for custom IMAP flags. Can anyone confirm this?
- Thunderbird uses $labelN
- there is a draft dealing with extended IMAP flags:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-melnikov-imap-keywords-03
However, this still does not cover all flags we need (watched and ignored are
missing).

Has anyone additional information on that topic, ie. which mail client uses
what additional IMAP flags?

Overall, it seems that $<name> is the "standard" way of dealing with extended
flags that have a general, not client-specific meaning. So, unless that
conflicts badly with any other client out there, I would suggest to follow
that for KMail by using $ToDo, $Forwarded, $Ignored, $Watched.

regards
Volker

Volker Krause -- volker at kdab.net, vkrause at kde.org

Volker Krause -- volker at kdab.net, vkrause at kde.org