[Kolab-devel] Kolab XML specification

Steffen Hansen steffen at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Wed May 11 11:57:54 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 10 May 2005 21:34, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 4. Mai 2005 05:19 schrieb Steffen Hansen:
>
> Hi,
>
> > email in the calendar folder. Also, I don't understand the footnote
> > about searching on the IMAP ID.
>
> If you know the IMAP ID it is very cheap to fetch the message
> directly.

Yes of course it is, but that's besides the point here.

> > What is that supposed to mean? It
> > doesn't help me looking up the right event without sifting through
> > all messages...
>
> It assumes that you keep a local cache of the IMAP ID <--> SID map.
> You are supposed to check for recent changes with (FETCH LAST-UID:*)
> and update the local cache before doing the resulting FETCH for the
> relevant IMAP ID. The later can be done because the mapping is
> bidirectional.

There has never been talk about making the php script a disconnected
imap client (which it essentially is if it has a local cache of imap
ID<->SID relations). I'd rather not implement this because it is going
to be a) error-prone, and b) quite an effort. And it doesn't solve the
problem for the webclient, which is still online imap and faces exactly
the same trouble as the invitation handling script.

> > I need the SID to be in something I can access via IMAP SEARCH.
> > Currently I do $imap->search('SUBJECT "' . $sid . '"');
>
> Thus causes significant load on the server for large installations.

Can we agree that it can at most cause a linear traversal of the
metadata for a folder? This is no harder for the server than a sync.

regards
--
Steffen Hansen          |       Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
Senior Software Engineer|       http://www.klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se