[Kolab-devel] Kolab XML specification

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Thu May 12 02:31:10 CEST 2005

Am Mittwoch, 11. Mai 2005 11:57 schrieb Steffen Hansen:

Hi Steffen,

> There has never been talk about making the php script a disconnected
> imap client (which it essentially is if it has a local cache of imap
> ID<->SID relations). I'd rather not implement this because it is going
> to be a) error-prone, and b) quite an effort. And it doesn't solve the
> problem for the webclient, which is still online imap and faces exactly
> the same trouble as the invitation handling script.

Actually there was a _lenghty_ discussion with the webclient developers about
exactly this problem. It is a misunderstanding that maintaining a Imap ID <->
SID map means implementing a dimap client. It only means to have a simple
_cache_ semantic on the client side. Of course online imap clients use
in-memory or on-disk storage of temporary data in order to speed up
operations all the time.

Due to the simple fact that php based scripts are restarted over and over
again using on-disk storage for caching the Imap ID <-> SID map is much more
efficient than rebuling this structure in memory over and over again.

> > Thus causes significant load on the server for large installations.
>
> Can we agree that it can at most cause a linear traversal of the
> metadata for a folder? This is no harder for the server than a sync.

No, we can't aggree on that as the load for doing searches on the custom mail
headers is much more expensive than a sync.

Regards,
-- martin

President next year."  -- 2004, Wally O'Dell - CEO of Diebold, Inc.
e r f r a k o n - Stuttgart, Germany