Distribution lists

David Faure dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Mon Oct 18 19:44:10 CEST 2004

On Saturday 16 October 2004 07:01, Joon Radley wrote:
> The UID's in Outlook is a relative UID to a message store. It is not unique
> across multiple message stores. Therefore it cannot be used as UID for this
> object.

in different folders? This is going to create trouble in kontact if it ever happens.
Well, only one will appear. In a discussion on the same issue on another list,
we came to the conclusion that this is a very very rare possibility and it isn't
really a problem to do it that way. But OK.

> The whole resolution in Outlook is based on the fact that an email address
> and display name is the UID for the contact. To support some arbitrary UID
> will be an absolute nightmare for me.

OK, then it looks like it has to be email+display name :(

> Could we please just focus on why a display name and email address cannot be
> used as the UID before we consider a generated UID.
Well, it's generated but it's also what we have in the <contact> XML already....

If we use email address + display name... what happens when someone
makes a change to a display name? E.g. to add "Dr." or change the name
after being married, etc.? I guess the link to the distr. list would then be lost.
But ok that's probably relatively rare too....

I'm OK with display_name+email then, it certainly makes sense in the XML even if
in kontact we convert that to and from uid+optional_email.

David Faure -- faure at kde.org, dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Qt/KDE/KOffice developer