a default inbox annotation

David Faure dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Wed Oct 6 11:09:12 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 06 October 2004 10:52, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 6. Oktober 2004 10:39 schrieb David Faure:
>
> Hi David,

> > Which one? The IMAP INBOX or the kolab inbox?
>
> By design any retrieval of new messages from the imap server is done from the
> IMAP INBOX .
>
> I want the destination of the messages after retrieval to be differen from the
> IMAP INBOX. This Kolab Inbox is then defined using an IMAP annotation. The
> folder name of this inbox can be arbitrary.

And how would the messages move from the IMAP INBOX to the Kolab Inbox?
With some client-side code??
Do we really have to recreate Outlook's abominations in Kontact? :/

> > Wouldn't this look *very* weird for the user? Two inboxes?
>
> No, it would mean hiding the IMAP INBOX and only show the Kolab Inbox.
> Actually the current behavior is really confusing for many people as folder
> cannot be next to the IMAP INBOX but must be children of the IMAP INBOX.

Wrong - you can use Prefix=/INBOX/ for this.

> The Kolab Inbox would be next to all other top level folders of the account.
> [plus: not created by server]

The Kolab Inbox *is* a real IMAP folder, right? Why wouldn't it be created by
the server then? And how can it appear next to the other toplevel folders
when not using an IMAP prefix, if cyrus doesn't support that??
Some client-side hack??

The kdepim people have a hard time accepting "crap solutions that make things
easier for Outlook". Kontact is not an Outlook clone, it's a general-purpose
email clients and organizer (and etc.), implementing standards.
Please come up with a solution that doesn't require to change Kontact's code
for mimicking Outlook. If this solution can be set up by simple configuration,
no problem. But if it requires hacks in Kontact...

David Faure -- faure at kde.org, dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Qt/KDE/KOffice developer