[Kolab-devel] Defaults files: kolabd and kolab-server

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon Nov 11 22:56:16 CET 2013

On Monday 11. November 2013 21.57.01 Paul Klos wrote:
> Op maandag 11 november 2013 14:10:32 schreef Paul Boddie:
> > On Monday 11. November 2013 13.42.53 Torsten Grote wrote:
> > > Hi Paul,

> Yes, and yes :-).

This should be interesting. ;-)

> > > Sounds to me like something that should be fixed, but I'm not a real
> > > Debian developer. What do others think? Do we need a patch here?
> >
> > Sorry, I probably wasn't clear, but this was experienced with the OBS
> > packages mentioned on this list. I guess the solution is for me to
> > change the Debian packaging and submit via OBS, but for reference I
> > found the init script in the
>
> > following place:
> This naming confusion dates back from my first efforts at packaging for
> Debian, so I guess you could put it down to inexperience. It's something
> I've been meaning to look into but never gotten around to. In hindsight, I
> reckon that consistently naming these files kolabd.* would have been
> better and less confusing.

Well, I guess kolab-server package name was chosen for a reason, perhaps to
distinguish it from the kolabd package from Kolab 2, but I doubt it's so
important to try and remember the motivation now.

> > pykolab-0.6.8/debian/kolab-server.init
> >
> > I just wondered if other distributions' init scripts were affected by
> > this since it looks like an artefact of a package or component renaming.
>
> This would be Debian only.

Right. I'll try and fix this as an excuse to go through the contribution
workflow whilst doing something trivial.

I have to say that the packaging looks in pretty good shape, so I think you
definitely deserve thanks for getting it to the point where it probably just
needs some exercise from people like me.

To get away from package building issues (to which I'll probably return at
some point), I did take a look at setup-kolab to see what it does, which is
somewhat orthogonal to the packaging, and it obviously has a challenging time
of having to configure wildly differently configured systems with their own
special file formats in certain cases. I'll try and think of ways to improve
it if I can.

Paul