[Kolab-devel] libkolab

Paul Klos paul at klos2day.nl
Tue Apr 23 14:30:57 CEST 2013

Hi Torsten,

Torsten Grote schreef op 23-04-2013 10:17:
> On Monday 22 April 2013 22:18:48 Paul Klos wrote:
>> Is there any objection to letting go of the whole libcalendaring
>> idea, and
>> just bite the bullet and pull in kdepimlibs and the rest on a Kolab
>> server
>> install?

To clarify, I meant this only for Debian(-based) installations.

> If I remember correctly, the (temporary) creation of libcalendering
> was
> intentional and the pros and cons were deliberated upon. As far as I
> know
> libcalendering was supposed to die as soon as KDE Frameworks is ready
> (and
> shipped on all of Kolab's platforms) which I think it isn't.

We don't necessarily need to kill off libcalendaring for all platforms,
if we decide not to use it on Debian. But you're right, if certain
platforms would keep using libcalendaring, and others don't, there would
be a divergence between Kolab platforms.

> Do you happen to know how other distributions that ship libkolab
> handle this
> problem?

I can't check right now, but I have a libkolab(xml) on my Gentoo box
and I would be very surprised if it depends on libcalendaring. Of
course, this is a desktop scenario, where libkolab(xml) is used in
conjunction with akonadi/kontact, so the KDE dependencies are there
already in any case.

I don't know about other distros.

> Maybe it can be a solution to keep libcalendering in the up2date Kolab
> repo
> and depend on kdepimlibs in the official Debian repo for now. It
> probably will
> take a while before the entire Kolab server enters Debian upstream and
> until
> that happens libkolab will be only used to provide Kolab client
> support for
> Kontact which requires kdepimlibs anyway.

This would mean two separate packages built from the libkolab source
package, both providing libkolab. This will cause a conflict if a
Debian/Ubuntu KDE user decides to try out a Kolab server on his desktop
machine, because that would pull in 2 different libkolabs.

Maybe this could be resolved by providing libkolab under 2 different
names, but then you have 2 libraries providing the same set of symbols,
which is another objection Sune had.

To summarize, even if we can separate between a Debian libkolab and
Kolab-provided libkolab, there is no guarantee that that will never
cause conflicts. Whereas if the Debian libkolab and Kolab-provided
libkolab are one and the same, you can be sure there will be no
conflicts.

And the reality is, that there will be no Debian libkolab, as long as
libcalendaring is somehow involved.

Paul