[Kolab-devel] SOLVED: Upgrade problem Kolab 2.2.0 -> 2.2.2 - Doc-upgrade needed?

ITSEF Admin itsef-admin at brightsight.com
Wed Sep 23 10:52:19 CEST 2009

Hi all,

on a second attempt, we seemingly found the problem:

On Tuesday 22 September 2009 17:52:46 ITSEF Admin (UNTRUSTED, sender
<kolab-devel-bounces at kolab.org> is not authenticated) wrote:
> We're just in the process of testing an upgrade of our Debian 4.0/Kolab
> 2.2.0 server to Debian 5.0/Kolab 2.2.2. We are using a separate test
> machine with an exact copy of the actual installation for this, so we can
> experiment a bit.
>
> The most logical approach seemed to be to upgrade the OS first (Debian 4.0
> -> 5.0), then upgrade Kolab itself.
>
> The OS upgrade went fine, the Kolab installation (based on the Debian 4.0
> OpenPKG RPMs provided by you) was still working. Hence, we went ahead and
> upgraded the Kolab installation using the Debian 5.0 OpenPKG RPMs (all
> x86).
>
> On first try, the "install-kolab.sh" command failed with an error about a
> missing "openpkg install script". Apparently, this was caused by the change
> from Debian 4.0 to 5.0, which caused a mismatch in RPM names. The problem
> was solved by running
> "sh openpkg-20071227-20071227_kolab1.ix86-debian5.0-kolab.sh" manually
> once, followed by the standard "install-kolab.sh" run.

This seems to be the mistake - running
"sh openpkg-20071227-20071227_kolab1.ix86-debian5.0-kolab.sh" manually
apparently disrupted the update procedure (despite the log file saying it's
still performing an upgrade), thus causing the ".rpmorig" files and the
missing slapd.conf file.

During the second try, we tried a different approach: When "install-kolab.sh"
failed due to the RPM name mismatch (caused by the Debian 4.0 -> 5.0
upgrade), we manually upgraded the RPM in question first with:
/kolab/bin/openpkg rpm -Uhv --ignoreos
openpkg-20071227-20071227_kolab1.ix86-debian5.0-kolab.rpm
Subsequently, we re-ran "install-kolab.sh" and the upgrade including the LDAP
modifications worked fine.

I'm aware of the fact that this is not the standard upgrade situation, as we
upgrade both OS and Kolab. On the other hand, this combination does not seem
*too* "outworldly" to me, hence, I am wondering where this could best be
documented. Would you like me to create a wish in the bugtracker to add this
to the suitable README - or is this better documented in the Wiki (where?)?

Regards,

Thomas