[Kolab-devel] Bugreports Kontact: kolab.org vs. kde.org

ITSEF Admin itsef-admin at brightsight.com
Fri May 23 17:00:26 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I originally raised this concern in issue1578, however, Bernhard - quite
rightly! - pointed out that that was not such a good idea, as this should
ideally be discussed here. Hence, I'll re-state the problem on the list:

The original problem happened already with kontact proko2.1.5 early last
year - we noticed the problem that shared folders were showing some problems
in IMAP accounts which they didn't in DIMAP accounts. In our case, we had
shared folders for ham/spam which had the permissions "append" for "anyone",
the idea being that everybody could add to them, but only 'mailadmin' was
allowed to delete anything in them. In a DIMAP account, this works fine,
however, in an IMAP account it doesn't - users are not allowed to add mails
to these folders, despite the "append" permissions.

The initial response of Martin (and subsequently Bernhard) at the time was
that this problem was IMAP-implementation related, thus not Kolab-specific
and therefore, I should instead report the bug via kde.org. That was my
intention, but as there was a workaround (use those folders via DIMAP part
instead) and workload soared, I kind of forgot about it.

These days, we're moving to Kontact Enterprise (currently SVN805827) - and the
problem seems to persist. Hence, I had a look at issue1578 again - and began
wondering: It is quite unclear to me what the relation between kde.org and
Kolab is in this matter. Will "the KDE developers" e.g. have any qualms about
me running a Kolab SVN version and subsequently filing bugs at kde.org? What
is the "official" stance of the Kolab developers on problems like this one?

For an end-user point of view, the initial reaction is simple: There is an
application with the "Kolab" name on it, it has a bug, report it to "Kolab"
and let them deal with it. Subsequently being told to go somewhere else can
feel odd... On the other hand, I can also understand the thoughts behind the
referal, aiming to deal with bugs in the most efficient way and using scarce
developer resources well. Hence, I'd be quite happy to hear some
thoughts/comments on this, so I can take it into account for further
reports. :-} Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Thomas