[Kolab-devel] Bugreports Kontact: kolab.org vs. kde.org

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon May 26 07:54:26 CEST 2008

Hi Thomas,

ITSEF Admin <itsef-admin at brightsight.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I originally raised this concern in issue1578, however, Bernhard - quite
> rightly! - pointed out that that was not such a good idea, as this should
> ideally be discussed here. Hence, I'll re-state the problem on the list:
>
> The original problem happened already with kontact proko2.1.5 early last
> year - we noticed the problem that shared folders were showing some problems
> in IMAP accounts which they didn't in DIMAP accounts. In our case, we had
> shared folders for ham/spam which had the permissions "append" for "anyone",
> the idea being that everybody could add to them, but only 'mailadmin' was
> allowed to delete anything in them. In a DIMAP account, this works fine,
> however, in an IMAP account it doesn't - users are not allowed to add mails
> to these folders, despite the "append" permissions.
>
> The initial response of Martin (and subsequently Bernhard) at the time was
> that this problem was IMAP-implementation related, thus not Kolab-specific
> and therefore, I should instead report the bug via kde.org. That was my
> intention, but as there was a workaround (use those folders via DIMAP part
> instead) and workload soared, I kind of forgot about it.
>
> These days, we're moving to Kontact Enterprise (currently SVN805827) - and the
> problem seems to persist. Hence, I had a look at issue1578 again - and began
> wondering: It is quite unclear to me what the relation between kde.org and
> Kolab is in this matter. Will "the KDE developers" e.g. have any qualms about
> me running a Kolab SVN version and subsequently filing bugs at kde.org? What
> is the "official" stance of the Kolab developers on problems like this one?

I can't really speak for the Kontact folks but I can tell you how it
works with Horde. We currently have two Kolab oriented developers on
the Horde team and we are both responsible for Horde bugs that are
submitted or moved to the Kolab queue. So if a user comes along and
mentions the word "Kolab" the main devs will shove the stuff over to
us and we are responsible for fixing it.

As the Kontact/Kolab devs are active members of the KDE dev team I'd
expect similar mechanisms to be in place. So it shouldn't be a problem
reporting these bugs upstream.

Cheers,

Gunnar