[Kolab-devel] distributionlists testing

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Sat May 17 08:03:06 CEST 2008

Hi Mike,

Mike Gabriel <m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de> writes:

> hi gunnar,
>
> Quoting Mike Gabriel <m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de>:
>
>> hi gunnar,
>>
>> i would like to test your distlist code, but i am not sure how to set
>> the jigsaw together.
>>
>> your external-horde script + patches (which?)???
>>
>> thanks for info,
>> mike
>
> yesterday, i faced an incompatibility problem between the horde
> distlist code and the toltec distlist handling:
>
> the kolab format demands this MIME type for distlists (as implemented
> in the new horde code fragments):
> application/x-vnd.kolab.distribution-list
>
> toltec uses this MIME type... (??? this is not kolab xml format compliant !!!)
> application/x-vnd.kolab.contact.distlist

I tend to agree as the Kolab format says:

The mimetype of this attachment will be
"application/x-vnd.kolab.<type>" where type is the content type of the
file.
(http://kolab.org/doc/kolabformat-2.0rc7-html/x179.html)

Looking at the Kontact source code on the other hand reveals that
Kontact uses the same mime type :(

I can't give a definite answer here at the moment as this needs
comments by other people. I think that following the Kolab format
would make sense as it makes the implementation simpler. On the other
hand the patch would be minor.

> additionally, toltec adds another attachment of the MIME type:
> application/x-outlook-tnef
>
> after decoding both toltec base64 encoded attachments, it seems like
> the first (application/x-vnd.kolab.distribution-list) is fully kolab
> xml format compliant (apart from the MIME type), and the latter adds
> some binary stuff that helps to implement the full outlook address
> book / distlist functionality into the kolab IMAP storage system.

This is part of the Kolab format idea. Any client is allowed to add
additional data to make the client work without problems. That is why
I also just added the "uid" entries to the distlist. Other clients
need to leave data they don't recognize intact.

I did initially also believe that we should write everything into the
Kolab format specs so that all clients can adhere to the specs. But I
realized that the clients are too different to allow for that. You
need some room for each client to cope with client specific needs or
oddities.

> thus for kolab, we have to adapt kolab to the toltec MIME type / agree
> on a unique MIME type with the toltec people and see what happens, if:
>
>    1. a horde distlist is synced into outlook/toltec (and viewed+edited+synced
>       back)
>    2. an outlook/toltec distlist is synced to kolab and viewed/edited with
>       horde and again synced back into outlook/toltec

In the case of distlists I think it has become clear that there are
still some features that are lacking and that could be easily
supported by different clients. So it would be good to find some
common ground there and put it in the specs. You should maybe start a
discussion on kolab-format for that.

> are there any toltec people listening to this thread???

Joon definitely does.

Cheers,

Gunnar