[Kolab-devel] More odd observations with Kontact enterprise35

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Jul 24 17:08:49 CEST 2008

Hi Thomas,

On Wednesday 16 July 2008 16:12, ITSEF Admin wrote:
> again, some odd (for me...) behaviour I have observed with the enterprise
> client (currently using 827905 under Kubuntu 8.04):

first thanks for writing down the problem.
Looks like you are using enterprise35 20080704.827950
which is a recent choice. It would be nice to even know a bit
more how you have rebuild it and which IMAP server you are using precisely.

Also I believe you should create issues for this, as we will need to collect
more parameters to reproduce the problems.

Note that for 20080714.830933 we did fix two problems that are in the same
area so there is a chance that they are related:
kolab/issue2607 (sync loop after deactivation of autosync.)
kolab/issue2666 (Deactivated calendar resources are reactivated after restart)

> Oddity 1:
> I frequently get messages like this on the console:
> kontact: WARNING: [virtual KMAcctImap* KMFolderImap::account() const] No
> parent folder found for NUMBER
> If I do a "grep -r NUMBER ~/.kde/share/config", NUMBER seems to be the
> account ID of the IMAP part of my main account (I have three accounts, two
> split IMAP/DIMAP and one IMAP only - "main" is a split account). I have not
> yet been able to put a finger on it but I do get the vague impression that
> Kontact has a tendency to be less stable if this happens.
>
> Oddity 2:
> I have also one user (also using a split IMAP/DIMAP account) so far who ran
> into another oddity: In several cases, Kontact would suddenly stop
> displaying certain mails, i.e. the body is shown as empty and the headers
> (shown with 'v') were changed as well. One example of such a mail:
>
> <quote>
> From USER at DOMA.IN Tue Jul  8 16:32:34 2008
> From: "NAME (ORG)" <USER at DOMA.IN>
> Sender: "NAME (ORG)" <USER at DOMA.IN>
> To: NAME2 <USER2 at OUR.DOMAIN>
> CC: NAME3 <USER3 at OUR.DOMAIN>,
>  "NAME4 (ORG)"
>  <USER4 at DOMA.IN>
> Subject: Re: Status
> Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 16:32:34 +0200
> </quote>
>
> And that was all there was to be seen with "v".

Was that pressing "v" on a disconnected or online IMAP folder?
(Background: disconnect imap has seen quite a bit more testing so far.)

> This mail originally
> contained quite a bit of text and an attachment. Checks on the server
> revealed that the mail on the server was still complete. Copying the mail
> to another folder restored it fully - this workaround actually has worked
> for all but one of these mails. This last one was *also* corrupted on the
> server. Funny enough, I was able to verify from our backups that the
> corrupted version "coexisted" with the original version for at least a
> couple of days on the server - then the original version was deleted
> (whether by user or accident/program fault I could not determine).
>

> Oddity 3:
> Once so far, my own Kontact ended up in a state where new events would not
> be entered in the correct resource. Despite me having three calendars, I
> was not asked which one should be used after creating a new appointment.
> The appointment did show up in the agenda but apparently not assigned to
> any resource (unfortunately, the resource and category colours do not work
> 100% (issues 2641, 2471 and 2472), otherwise I might have been able to
> deduct something from that). Cutting and pasting these events did not bring
> up the 'which resource' dialog either. Shortly afterwards, Kontact crashed
> while trying to move an IMAP folder. After the re-start, everything was
> back to normal - only the events I had created before were gone.

The Kontact console output could be interesting for this one.
(Best attach it to the issue.)

> If you would like any more info on any of the three, please don't hesitate
> to ask - I'll try my best... I know I'm already behind with a couple of
> questions from you guys (both here and on the bugtracker), which I'm
> awfully sorry about, but I'm positively swamped recently - I will try to
> provide the info at some point, though.

Bernhard