[Kolab-devel] something is not good about kolab

Charles Dand charles.dand at penguinfactory.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 17:13:40 CEST 2007

>> I was more afraid when installing my first exchange than when installing my
>> first zymbra.
>> Probably because I read some doc on how to install Zimbra first.
>>

> So should kolab learn from zimbra (is it easier to install, I never tried
> myself?) or from exchange?

I would have suggested that there are two ways to look at the ease of
installing Zimbra. Provided you're running a distribution that Zimbra
support then obtaining and istalling a binary package of the Zimbra
Collaboration Suite is easy (well almost). On the other hand if you're
not running a supported distribution it makes things really difficult. I
myself had been hoping to test Zimbra on a Gentoo machine, not an easy
thing to achieve. This is where I think Kolab with OpenPKG is good in
that it is far easy to install regardless of the underlying distribution
(btw I use OpenPKG Kolab on Gentoo, haven't worked up the courage to do
a native gentoo install).

--

Charles Dand

Penguin Factory Ltd