[Kolab-devel] something is not good about kolab

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 17:30:56 CEST 2007

On 6/28/07, Ingo Steuwer <steuwer at univention.de> wrote:

> > No, just take the right guy to do the right thing.
> > IT management is not a game, some company depend on IT.
> > IT manager is a career.
> > I'm not speaking about someone installing google hearth on his laptop,
> > but someone responsible for 50 workers that must find quickly the good
> > solution when something goes wrong.
>
> In many 50-users-companys/institutions I know IT-management and
> admistration
> is bound to the same person which has no IT-background. They don't want to
> spend hours for evaluating groupware-solutions.

Blind drivers, driving without licenses, the wall is not far :-)

People _in_charge_ of the IT should ask to someone that knows, and they can
trust.
It'take less time than evaluating ...
My customers ask me, what will you do, and how much it will cost, not why I
choosed this or that.

But you are right, sometimes, the wrong guys are choosing the wrong things
for the wrong reasons.

What could help kolab is a test comparing all groupware solution.
Comparison should be the first thing that people _in_charge_ and IT-manager
should check.

[..]

> > Exchange offers you much help during installation, on what is missing on
> >
> > > your
> > > server and what needs to be done next. Installation takes a long time
> > > because
> > > there are many things you are pointed at, but it looks like the
> procedure
> > > always tells you what's next. Not a maybe outdated external
> > > documentation.
> >
> > Sorry, I never read  M$ messages (say not all of them), I thing lot of
> > people do the same.
> > If so why install M$ stuff :-)
>
> M$ didn't made everything wrong, and I think it is one of the competitors
> of
> Kolab one should know to do some argumentation.

Absolutely not, Win2000K and successor where a big improvement.
Exchange 2000 and was still a (big) mess.

Regards

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com
May the sources be with you