[Kolab-devel] [issue1532] Set "duplicatesuppression: 0" in imapd.conf.template?

Thomas Arendsen Hein kolab-issues at intevation.de
Tue Dec 12 19:43:48 CET 2006

New submission from Thomas Arendsen Hein <thomas at intevation.de>:

Cyrus imapd currently discards messages with a message-id which was seen during
the previous three days.

This creates multiple problems:

- For cross postings to different e.g. mailing lists delivered to the same IMAP
mailbox only one message survives. This may be desireable for some people, but
not always. If you sort the emails into folders later (e.g. with gnus) you get
only one message. Or if you add highlighting to emails sent via kolab-announce,
you might not see this because only the Cc to kolab-users survived.

- With Outlook 2003 replies to polls ("Umfragen") are sent with the identical
message-id which is used to calculate the result. So all replies but the first
are discarded.

- Many co-workers and I had the problem that quickly typing test messages via
telnet only worked once per recipient unless we pseudo-randomly add a message-id.

cyrus imapd before 2.2 (which is used in Kolab 2.0 and 2.1) had problems with
sieve when duplicate suppression was deactivated, but a test with 2.2 worked fine.

My proposal is to add "duplicatesuppression: 0" to imapd.conf.template with a
comment next to it. At least for Kolab 2.1, but maybe for 2.0 branch, too, in
case we'll do a 2.0.5 release.

What do the others think?

assignedto: thomas
messages: 9111
nosy: bernhard, bh, martin, steffen, thomas
priority: urgent
status: unread
title: Set "duplicatesuppression: 0" in imapd.conf.template?
topic: kkc, server