Debian 11: current status

Jochen Kellner jochen at jochen.org
Wed Oct 26 06:37:53 CEST 2022

Hi,

I noticed that the repo on
https://mirror.apheleia-it.ch/repos/Kolab:/16/Debian_11.0/ has been
filled with packages. A snapshot of my current Debian 10 server could
finally get a test upgrade without loosing packages due to missing
dependencies. Thanks for working on this!

I've had a quick look at the resulting system and noticed the following:

- package kolab-temetry had been removed (probably during the original
  Upgrade to Debian 10) and did not get reinstalled when installing
  "kolab". If it is still needed/used, kolab should depend on it, If
  not, should the package be removed?

- Trying to run kde-telemetry:
  root at debian11:~# /usr/sbin/kolab_parse_telemetry
  -bash: /usr/sbin/kolab_parse_telemetry: /usr/bin/python: bad
  interpreter: No such file or directory
  This is something other programs (kolab-saslauthd, kolabd) also
  have. There is a package python-is-python3 which could be used to
  provide the unversioned python, but better seems to be an update to a
  versioned #! (There is a lintion check for that:
  https://lintian.debian.org/tags/script-uses-unversioned-python-in-shebang)

- When running kolab-telemetry with python3 I get:
  root at jupiter-bullseye:~# /usr/sbin/kolab_parse_telemetry
  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/sbin/kolab_parse_telemetry", line 22, in <module>
      import rfc822
  ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'rfc822'

  There is a package python3-debian which provides deb822 - is that a
  replacement?

- I just replaces the import rfc822 with deb822:
  root at debian11:~# /usr/sbin/kolab_parse_telemetry
  /usr/sbin/kolab_parse_telemetry:22: DeprecationWarning: please use 'debian.deb822' instead
    import deb822
  Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/kolab_parse_telemetry", line 66, in <module>
    from pykolab.auth import Auth
  ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pykolab.auth'

  The ModuleNotFoundError seems to be related to having two pykolab
  directories:

root at debian11:/usr# ls /usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pykolab /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pykolab
/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pykolab:
__init__.py  base.py  conf          errors.py  imap_utf7.py  logger.py  translate.py  utils.py    xml
auth         cli      constants.py  imap       itip          plugins    translit.py   wap_client

/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pykolab:
setup

  The package kolab-conf delivers
  /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pykolab, other packages deliver in
  /usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pykolab. Should we install all in
  dist-packages? When I symlink the directories the services start.

My tests seem to suggest that the packages should be changed to put the
python modules in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages.

I'd like to see us moving to systemd-services - If then services don't
start we can see that with "systemctl is-system-running" and
"systemctl --failed"

Other services like guam, prosody, cyrus-imapd at least start.

All in all I think we are not that far away from running on Debian11.

Again, thanks for working on the Debian packages!

Jochen

--
This space is intentionally left blank.