Kolab migration on debian

Christoph Erhardt christoph.erhardt at sicherha.de
Tue Sep 21 07:25:30 CEST 2021

Hi Andrea,

while that upgrade path isn't officially documented anywhere, I've practised
it successfully several times (Debian 7 -> 8 -> 9 -> 10). Essentially, you
need to perform the following steps:

1. Plan for downtime and have an exit strategy at hand in case things should
go awry (unlikely, but you never know).
2. Back up everything of importance, *including config files*.
3. Change the URL in `/etc/apt/sources.list.d/kolab.list` from `Debian_8.0` to
`Debian_9.0`.
4. Follow the official Debian upgrade guide: https://www.debian.org/releases/
stretch/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html

Some post-treatment (such as manual merging of config files) may be necessary
in the aftermath, but it's nothing a seasoned sysadmin would be overwhelmed
by.

Best,
Christoph