Kolab Now vs Kolab groupware

MIhai Badici mihai at badici.ro
Mon Jan 6 07:11:33 CET 2020

> I find the manual configuration of a client to not be a show stopper.
> If it takes me 5 extra minutes to configure a client, that is not a
> big deal.

Well, that's ok for 25, maybe 50 users. I had also 300-400 users, and
not in the same city. Replacing Exchange should include this case as
well because Group Policy is a powerful tool and sometime you can find
admins who really know to use it :)

>> Now, about the features:
>>
>>  I had a HTC corporate smartphone around 2008 running windows CE and
>> outlook. This years having ActiveSync with contacts and calendar was
>> "THE BIG THING". Everybody want it and I installed a lot of Windows
>> SBS with exchange precisely for this feature.
>>
>> Nowadays people with android smartphones are more or less forced to
>> use a google account and will syncronize the contacts with this one.
>> The big advantage is when you leave the company you will go with the
>> contacts, which is an unwrited  law among corporate people :)  .  I
>> have enough installs of kolab servers with ActiveSync working well
>> but I know maybe two people who really use the address book.
>
> The one client I have just uses IMAP with their phones to connect.
> That seems to be working well enough for them.  I assume the
> caldav/cardav sync should be more than enough.

It's still great to have activesync and contacts/calendar in sync with
your computer. And it works pretty well with kolab. I had a situation in
a past ( actually with MS Exchange, not kolab) when people complaint
about battery discarging faster when using IMAP instead of ActiveSync. I
don't know if it was real but could be.

> Isn't Cyrus the only option?  When I look at other mail projects they
> are either using Sogo or Nextcloud for calendaring.  I think part of
> the benefit of Kolab is having Contacts/Calendars built right into the
> mail server.   Are you thinking different?

Cyrus is the default option but dovecot will work to, with some
restriction. Dovecot has metadata implementation too - so yes, is
precisely why I prefer kolab, just like you - but it looks like they
didn't implemented it for public/shared folders. I suspect the main
reason is because nobody requested it so i consider to ask for that or
maybe find some time to start to implement it - should not be so
difficult because must be similar to private folders.

But dovecot has the advantage of self-creating folder and autocreate the
broken indexes so the management is simpler and is used at larger scale
so I use it when it is possible.

> OK, I wasn't even thinking about conferencing.  One client that wants
> chat I use Openfire and Jitsi.  I am not thinking conferencing is that
> big of a deal.  Is RocketChat the default conferencing engine for
> Nextcloud?  I see that Nextcloud has a "talk/text/video" feature.  I
> haven't checked it out yet.

No, RocketChat is a totally independent project ( and actually it was
the customer choice) But there are cases when the company is distributed
among many cities - it was the case - and people need to see each
other.  I tried to use the nextcloud feature too, seems to be rather
incomplete, but I really see the necessity to have a solution here. I
think I have seen  a mattermost plugin on the kolab repo, so, if it is
mattermost, is great too.

>> There are also some "small things" who can become more important than
>> the "big ones". You can't use "sieve filters" with outlook. When
>> using Exchange ( or any other groupware) you will need to create
>> filtering rules on the server. ATM, you can do that only using
>> roundcube. There is a sieve plugin for thunderbird but it require
>> sieve syntax knowledge so it is unusable anyway. The most stupid
>> missing feature is the ability to set vacation messages ( you can do
>> it from roundcube because it is a sieve filter too but nobody will
>> search for this feature in the "filters" tab). One of my most
>> successful solution was to rename this tab "autoresponder and
>> filters" :)  Anyway , we will need an user friendly sieve outlook
>> (and thunderbird)  plugin .
>
> yes, that is a pain.  If people are doing an OOF, they actually
> contact me and I do it for them.  It is not ideal.

Yes, that's my problem since the begining. There is a seting in newest
managesieve plugin which enable oof as separate item in the menu , it's
a big step forward :)   I didn't noticed it till yesterday  because I
have some configuration templates I use but our discussion was useful:

// Enables separate management interface for vacation responses
(out-of-office)
// 0 - no separate section (default),
// 1 - add Vacation section,
// 2 - add Vacation section, but hide Filters section
$config['managesieve_vacation'] = 1;

that's at least in rc 1.4 I test currently

>> As I said, Microsoft removed the "public folders" feature in
>> Exchange. It was, indeed, a wrong way to use file sharing. That's why
>> I prefer to use the owncloud integration: sharing files is a
>> different thing, there are different product implementing it; but is
>> nice to have the possibility to attach those files. I have webdav
>> owncloud implemented for one customer, it works pretty well now but
>> is not so popular. But maybe for larger companies could be useful.
>
> I am not deploying nextcloud for the few clients that needs file
> sharing.  It seems to be working well.
Yes, owncloud/nextcloud is ok, also people use seafile I didn't used but
should be ok too. It's not mandatory but nice to have.