Kolab Now vs Kolab groupware

Milan Petrovic petrovic.milan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 13:28:57 CET 2020

Really great response, reflects pretty accurate the situation with MS
Exchange vs. Kolab.
Wanted to add my experience. I'm not used to running MS Exchange and have
limited knowledge of Outlook (I was using it in a corporate environment but
not recently, so I don;t remember much about it - the only feature I used a
lot there was to "send a message at a later date/time, this can be, sort
of, done in Thunderbird, but it's a client side feature and you have to
have your client open and running in order to have it working as intended).
I love that Kolab supports Activesync. Most of the mobile clients are
connected that way to my Kolab instances: I have a 3.4 instance and a
Winterfell one. Both instances have Seafile "attached" for enhanced file
sharing capabilities and the Winterfell has Collabora office. Tech savvy
users love to use things online: they access the mail through Roundcube,
file sharing through Seafile, etc. They love the Collabora integration. Non
tech savvy people are using clients, mostly through mobile and their usage
is usually pretty basic.
What I find as an issue with Kolab to gain more traction is, as Mihai said,
the need to use the web client in order to manage the mail account. There
is no other way to set the filters server wide for example. Also, there is
no way to apply tagging with filters - a feature I miss a lot.
Sharing of resources is also very weird: if there is a calendar or any
other resource shared between people, the resource will be shown to other
people in a folder like structure with its full path (if I have "My
Calendar" and I create a new one, "Meetings", and share it with another
user, and they enable it in folder settings to be visible, they'd see below
their "My calendar" a number of nested grayed out folders like "Calendars \
shared \ Owners username \ " and then the "Meetings" calendar as a
subfolder of the last one - it's just confusing for non-tech-savvy people).
This also goes for other  shared resources/folders. Same visibility happens
if you create a shared resource through the admin interface - you see the
full hierarchy path of the shared resource in Roundcube. In general,
calendar management is a bit of a pain if you go beyond "each user uses his
own calendar through Roundcube".
File sharing to external users needs to be done through the Seafile
interface - this also needs a bit of explaining to users, but they get it
(at least in my case).
Now, I haven't tried Outlook with Kolab, but things do work without it for
me.
I also have a number of external services relying on Kolab's LDAP, like
Matrix/Riot for communication (chat/voice/video - I've picked Matrix as it
was the only solution with mobile clients actually ringing like a phone
when you do an audio call, but in general I'm very happy with it and how it
handles security). Matrix has LDAP integration that syncs well, but it is a
rudimentary implementation. It took me days to make it work and as the LDAP
implementation is not actively worked on some features work better than the
others (I can create and  authenticate users, but still cannot pull all the
user data about them beside the username so this has to be manually added
after the user logs in for the first time).
I ended up writing a manual with around 30 pages, in English, that every
user receives on their account creation, explaining how to use the entire
'system' of apps.

Despite the issues above I still love Kolab and all the features it gives
out of the box. Winterfell is a visible step-up with constant updates and I
hope the issues I have mentioned will be ironed out in the future. Web
client is beautiful. It's better to view it as an alternative to Google's
Gmail and O365 than to Exchange server/Outlook. All the people using it
mostly through web love it also. The office documents collaborative editing
also works and makes it even more a viable alternative to Gmail/O365.
Anyway, I'll definitely keep using it. I hope this has helped you.