Kolab newbie, how do I add mail users to a kolab domain?

Adi Pircalabu adi at ddns.com.au
Thu Sep 13 05:04:49 CEST 2018

On 12-09-2018 18:44, Axel wrote:
> Hi Adi,
>
> do you need completely separated domains?
> If not, you can just add virtual domains to your primary domain by
> opening
> your domain list and click on the "+" and add as many you want.
>
> After that you can use these virtual domain and add secondary email
> adresses
> to your users.
>
> This way every user on your system is able to use these virtual
> domains/
> emailadresses.
>

> The other way is to completely separate the domains from each other as
> Thimotheus described.

Thanks for the pointers Axel. Let me describe first my environment and
how I'm intending to slot Kolab in.

We're using a number of Plesk servers which are storing the mailboxes
for our hosted domains. In front of them we're using a mail proxy
cluster based on Postfix and Dovecot. Dovecot acts as proxy and has been
configured as per
https://wiki.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields/Proxy article.
Postfix is configured to use rimap saslauthd auth mechanism for SMTP
authentication.
Now, what we're looking at is adding calendar / contacts / tasks / notes
groupware abilities and Kolab's version of Roundcube seems to offer a
seamless integration. One of the options we have is to import the
existing domains & users into Kolab's LDAP *without* setting up
mailboxes in Kolab, since all the mailboxes are in Plesk. Kolab
authenticates the user against LDAP, but Roundcube will connect for IMAP
to the Dovecot proxy instead of using the existing Cyrus IMAP service.

Looks like the multi-domain approach might work in my case.

--
Adi Pircalabu