guam status

hede kolab983 at der-he.de
Mon Nov 27 09:28:38 CET 2017

Hi all,

is there anyone using guam? I'm testing a debian build of guam 0.9.2-3
and it seems there's no fault tolerance at all. It simply halts in many
many cases - stalling the whole connection.

For example Claws Mail is sending special headers without a space after
the colon (within the imap APPEND command), like starting with:

X-Claws-Account-Id:2

I can reproduce this with telnet / openssl s_client and guam is
accepting "X-Claws-Account-Id: 2", it stores my demo mail. But without
the white space it's simply stalling the connection - no reaction at
all. Not even any error message. From that point on there's no reaction
at all, not even to valid commands. The crazy thing is, other headers
without a space are fine, like "X-Claws-Sign:0".

The bottom line is: currently it's impossible to send mail with claws
mail because it cannot store any mail to guam, neither drafts nor queued
mail.

I don't know if these type of headers are rfc conform, but even if not:
stopping the connection like guam does on any kind of things it doesn't
understand is a really bad habit. It's a fundamental paradigm to first
implement some kind of error handling before any other feature gets
implemented. This seems missing with guam.

regards
hede