Help / Advice: hints on "email archiving"?

Liutauras Adomaitis adomaitis at kolabsystems.com
Tue May 23 20:21:00 CEST 2017

On 2017 m. gegužės 23 d., antradienis 14:49:25 EEST Thomas Kleindienst wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 23. Mai 2017, 13:26:17 CEST schrieb Liutauras Adomaitis:
> > On 2017 m. gegužės 23 d., antradienis 14:06:35 EEST Thomas Kleindienst wrote:
> > > Hello list
> > > we're running a licensed Kolab instance in our small business since approx 1½ years now. We're generally quite satisfied but Roundcube seems to be getting slower and slower with an increasing amount of emails. Each user now has approx 40-50000 mails with about 50-70Gb per user. We'd like to archive the older mails:
>
> > Roundcube has an Archiving feature, which can be configured slightly. This feature allows user to archive (move message to Archives folder or subfolder of Archives folder) but just one click. So in that case archiving depends on user.
> > You can configure Cyrus IMAP to have several partitions and move all users Archives folders to a less expensive (and slower) storage.
> > Liutauras
>
> But than each "archived" mail stays inside Roundcube/Kolab/Cyrus and is still included for indexing?

True.
The most "simple" work around is to suggest users to unsubscribe archives. For example, you can set roundcube to archive messages based on year, that will create folders Archive/2013, Archive/2014 and etc. Users can unsubscribe these folders and subscribe only when needed. That is a bit ugly, but should make roundcube job easier. On the other hand I think Roundcube doesn't cache folder messages if you don't go to that folder.

Liutauras