huge /var/lib/mongodb/journal

Timotheus Pokorra timotheus at kolab.org
Fri Oct 14 07:31:03 CEST 2016

Hello Josh,

> Looking at my system disk usage I've just discovered several gigs of /var/lib/mongodb/journal files. The rest of data of all /var is under 100K.
> Does anyone have any idea how to trim the folder and what its purpose is?

I did not know about the usage of mongodb in Kolab, so that made me curious...

I find two references:
https://lists.kolab.org/pipermail/devel/2012-May/013454.html
So mongodb might be used as an alternative to mysql for the roundcube cache.
I checked my Kolab 16 test installation, and in
/etc/roundcubemail/config.inc.php there is only a reference to mysql
(value db_dsnw)

https://kanarip.wordpress.com/2016/02/08/manticore-may-start-before-mongodb/
It seems it is used with manticore.
I actually have never tried manticore in Kolab 16 yet.
Right, my test installation has already 3 GB in /var/lib/mongodb/journal
some info about journaling: https://docs.mongodb.com/manual/core/journaling/

"To provide durability in the event of a failure, MongoDB uses write
ahead logging to on-disk journal files."

in /etc/mongod.conf:
# Enable/Disable journaling (journaling is on by default for 64 bit)
#journal = true
#nojournal = true

So you might try to disable journaling? or disable manticore if you
don't need it?

just some ideas.

Timotheus