Fresh Kolab 16 Install on Fresh Centos 7 VM - Can't log in to webadmin

Stephen Switzer steve at switzerbusinesssolutions.com
Fri Feb 12 21:55:58 CET 2016

Hi guys. First, thanks to all the contributors to Kolab - I've been
using 3.2 for a while since pulling it from a hosted Google environment
in a moment of paranoia. It's both good and bad to be responsible for
your own email server.

To the point, I created a new VM with 2 processors 2GB RAM and a 40GB
disk in KVM with qcow2 storage, hosted on an Ubuntu Server. I then
installed a 64 bit minimal Centos 7 server, updated it, powered it off
and gzip'd it up. After power it up, I followed this guide:

https://docs.kolab.org/installation-guide/centos-7.html

Then, verified my hostname, DNS, etc and took a snapshot of the VM
before continuing. I can revert back to this snapshot, fix something and
start over as if I was re-doing a clean slate installation.

As is stands, I cannot log in as cn=Directory Manager in the
kolab-webadmin interface. The log file shows:

[root at kolab16 ~]# tail -f /var/log/kolab-webadmin/errors
[12-Feb-2016 11:26:43 -0500](ldatfspk4p08nts4uoj43gr6g3): [ERROR] (api)
LDAP: Bind failed for dn=uid=kolab-service,ou=Special
Users,dc=sbsllc,dc=local. Can't contact LDAP server

As per some suggestions on the list, I tried to change
/etc/kolab/kolab.conf from localhost to 127.0.0.1 (then I rebooted the
kolab server to be sure) and tried again. I've never been able to log
in. I took all the password suggestions from the kolab-setup script, and
didn't type in my own. I saved the entire output of my configuration
attempts and copy/pasted the password in. I also verified the password
in /etc/kolab/kolab.conf, and it was as I expected. Still I cannot log
in.

Now, I could hack the configuration, get into LDAP and make it work, but
I'll always wonder if something else is wrong because of me missing
something - especially is there's another error or something else
doesn't work. Below is a pastebin of the entire output of my shell
session over SSH. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong, or how I can
help debug.

http://pastebin.ca/3372212

Thank you all!!

--
Best regards,

STEPHEN H. SWITZER
VOICE: 585.298.9420 [ x7001 ]
CELL: 585.202.8312
FAX: 585.625.0020
EMAIL: steve at SwitzerBusiness.Solutions
_Technical Consultant & System Engineer_
- VMware VSP
- Microsoft MCP, Desktop/Server

SWITZER BUSINESS SOLUTIONS, LLC

WEB: www.SwitzerBusiness.Solutions [1]
FB: www.facebook.com/sbsolutions [2]
- VMware VIP Partner
- HP Authorized Business Development Partner
- Xorcom Certified Dealer

Links:
------
[1] http://www.switzerbusinesssolutions.com/