Kolab community version recommendation?

Daniel Hoffend dh at dotlan.net
Tue Dec 6 00:54:46 CET 2016

On 2016-12-05 16:41, Hermann Himmelbauer wrote:
> Hi,
> AFAIK Kolab 16 is stable. However, I experienced a similar bug to you: I
> installed a new Kolab version on Debian Jessie and the webserver
> (apache) quit working after a while. This happend due to some default
> configuration - I forgot which one - but you'll find out in the List
> archives.

This sad bug is having a very long history and has something to do with
how SWIG (a php module framework) is not able to unload the libkolab
stuff correctly.

Your crash happens because logrotate tries to reload the apache (which
crashes the swig plugin during unload/load.

If you adjust the logrotate apache2 script to restart instead of
reload your apache should be fine (until something or someone reloads
Apache).

IMO I personally prefer the use of php-fpm together with nginx (you
could also use apache in that case). If you split php from apache you
won't expire any of those hang issues but it requires more configuration
and customization work.

You can consider Kolab:16 as the Stable version. There might be a few
smaller bug or stability updates but overall it looks okay. A few Debian
Updates to get Jessie more stable are on it's way and should land soon.

If you check out kanarips message I would choose either CentOS 7
(primary) or Debian 8 (in a few days) as a stable platform to start and
work with. Distributions like Ubuntu, Fedora and others might work but
could need more help from the community to get packages work correctly. I
personally would consider one of the recommended distributions.

--
Best Regards
Daniel Hoffend