If you want a faster Kolab, read this.

Aleksander Machniak machniak at kolabsys.com
Tue Sep 15 08:29:04 CEST 2015

On 09/14/2015 10:53 PM, Paul Bronson wrote:
> I don't think the latency is with the browser or anything over a VPN
> connection, I think the latency lies in all of the (unnecessary)
> communicaton going on with the back end during a message selection. See

With enabled devel_mode in Roundcube config precise time of PHP script
execution will be logged to logs/console file. From debug logs I see
it's around 2 seconds indeed, but from my experience even with disabled
cache it should not take so long. Something is wrong with Cyrus (disk?)
performance in your installation.

> the bug, I just uploaded some more logs. Aleksander states that all of
> the METADATA and LIST commands should be pulling from cache, not IMAP. I

Yes, it should.

> am using memcache for cache, but he wanted me to change it to DB. Again,
> look at the bug you'll see all of the (almost full page) of commands
> being checked, just on a message check from tasks, notes, etc. I don't
> know why the notes and tasks plugins need queries when this is happening.

Because Notes and Tasks can be assigned to mail messages and we display
such information to the user if they are. All these queries/commands are
needed. The problem is that most of IMAP commands should be cached. In
your setup something is wrong with memcache, your logs prove that with
sql cache there's no problem.

ps.  I'm not saying that our current caching system is perfect and
cannot be improved.

--
Aleksander Machniak
Software Developer