Configuration Help

Lebmann, Paul paul at lebmann.net
Sat Oct 3 10:04:36 CEST 2015

Hi Sultan!

> 1. On the domain host I set up MX record pointing to the IP address of
> the server for Kolab (this is for delivering the emails to the
> server). Can I use the MX record with IP:Port format to point it to a
> server behind the firewall?

If your server sits behind a firewall you have to configure NAT (dNAT)
and the MX record should point to a IP on your firewall, reachable from
the internet. For this IP you have to set dNAT to have the packages
delivered to your mail server. You should also make sure, that the
reverse DNS entry is set.

> 2. For outbound emails from the Kolab server, how does the email
> leave? Do you have to specify any DNS?

Again I think this is more of an issue with your network configuration.
Your mail server has to be able to resolve DNS requests and has to be
allowed to reach out to other smtp servers on the internet. So please
check your firewall configuration.

> 3. I also noticed during the installation that the postfix settings
> gave me several choices and I selected the default mode (smarthost
> internet) for mail settings.

If you select smarthost the postfix server expects one smtp server which
is on the internet an where your postfix server is going to log in to,
to send your mail.
 From the postfix install screen:

"Internet with smarthost:
Mail is received directly using SMTP or by running a utility such as
fetchmail. Outgoing mail is sent using a smarthost."

So you should probably reconfigure your postfix (dpkg-reconfigure
postfix) and choose "internet site" or if a smarthost is what you want
you should research postfix configuration.

Paul