Plans for Kolab 3.5 community release

Thomas Spuhler thomas.spuhler at btspuhler.com
Tue Nov 17 21:31:05 CET 2015

On Tuesday, November 17, 2015 08:20:05 AM Timotheus Pokorra wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am cross posting this to the users list as well, but please reply on
> the developers list for the technical discussion.
>
> Most of us have been wondering what happened to the Kolab 3.5 release
> which was planned for August 2015. We got quite used to the half year
> release cycle...
>
> Yesterday in IRC, there was a quick and good discussion with a number
> of people, and Jeroen (aka kanarip) stated that the community releases
> have not been an effort by Kolab Systems, but he did it in his own
> personal time as a member of the community.
> That was not clear to me up to this point. One reason might be that
> the release post only mentioned other people from the community with
> special thanks, but Jeroen was not mentioned.
> I thought the work of Jeroen was taken for granted because he did it
> in his time for Kolab Systems.
> In fact, he should have been mentioned as first to thank for a new
> release in the past years...
> Now that I think of it, sometimes it was Jeroen himself who wrote the
> release post, and yes it looks strange when you express gratitude to
> yourself...
>
> So hereby I want to thank Jeroen for the hard work on the past
> releases, in the name of the community!
>
> Fact is that Jeroen cannot participate in the release as much as in the
> past. He concentrates on working on continuous delivery and deployment
> rather than a release.
>
> So I guess we as the community should start an effort to get Kolab
> Community Edition 3.5 ready for a release. We will still rely on
> Jeroen for tagging the upstream packages like libkolab, libkolabxml,
> libcalendaring, kolab-webadmin etc. We also will need his advice, and
> will also still be using the infrastructure (OBS) provided by Kolab
> Systems. (Thanks to Kolab Systems for that!)
>
> I suggest we aim for a release of Kolab 3.5 for February 2015. That
> way we could get back to the half year release cycle.
>
> I will post separate emails to the developers list about more technical
> details.
>
> This will be a community effort.
> Each of us has other responsibilities and projects besides of Kolab as well.
> Please reply on the mailing lists what you think and how you can
> contribute! There is the packaging for various OS, testing, writing
> release notes, describing the upgrade path, updating the manual, and
> probably more.
>
> Thanks,
>    Timotheus

Thanks Tim for explaining this. This explains why we didn't see much activity
on the development side. Well, somebody has to pay for the salaries and I am
glad Kolab Systems has customers.

Please be aware as OBS is a good way to do builds, but the packages may not be
installable on every major distro. libkolab needs the first attention from an
experienced contributor as it currently doesn't build with new KF and plasma.
libkolabxml doesn't build anymore either with php-7

I am not sure if the WEB interfaces build and work.

So we have a lot of work ahead.

--
Best regards
Thomas Spuhler

All of my e-mails have a valid digital signature
ID 60114E63