New Kolab install in a VM, practical partitioning & sizing recommendations?

gornle at fastmail.com.au gornle at fastmail.com.au
Mon May 18 20:46:30 CEST 2015

> >  It's not RAM that's really my question. It's PARTITION SIZE.

> Well, I beg to differ.

Um, ok.  I'm pretty sure I know what question I'm asking.

> > Assuming you're using that partitioning scheme, what partition SIZES are you using? For that many users, how full are those partitions?
> If you're read my post carefully you would now know /var/spool/imap is where the data (emails and attachments) is stored. How much do you need? Answer these questions:> 1. What quota to you enforce
> 2. How many users do you support;
> Now multiply both values. This should not be hard ;)
> As for the other portions: if you run a VM do no nothing there (imho). These are configuration data (text files, data bases). MySQL seems only be needed for roundcube, mine is like 120mb. How much space to you need for ldap? Next to nothing, even with hundreds of users.

I've already mentioned I'm new to Kolab and migrating from another server.

How would we know what those 'other' portions need to be in Kolab?

In other servers the 'other' portions are NOT insignificant and it very much matters what resources are allocated.

> [2] netiquette: if this is your first time on a mailing list it would be great if you post your name and basic data for your deployment. This makes it easier for the other people here to answer your questions.

Rather than quoting 'netiquette' rules at me right out of the gate, reading what I've already posted might be helpful.

My name's Gornle, as I mentioned in my original post:

"Thanks for any help & advice!

-gornle"

What 'basic data' beyond

"It'll run in a Xen DomU.

I've ~50 users, transacting ~1000 emails/day, with existing storage of ~ 1Gb/user that'll be migrated from another server."

should I post?