still... wallace troubles in kolab 3.4

Matthias Busch catwiesel at gmx.net
Mon Mar 23 11:59:38 CET 2015

Kolab 3.4 (upgraded from 3.3) on Debian 7.8 x64

On sunday evening I noticed that I did not get mails for a few days.
Apparently wallace was keeping them.

looking at the /var/log/kolab/pykolab.log I see different messages:

2015-03-22 18:38:39,419 pykolab.wallace WARNING No contents configured
for footer module
--> only warning, not relevant, but while we are discussing wallace,
what exactly does it want in the none existent footer files? stuff to
add to the email?

------

UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe4' in
position 4: ordinal not in range(128)

lots of them, always the same character. in the footer.execute()
module... copy and paste:

2015-03-22 18:33:15,412 pykolab.wallace ERROR Module footer.execute()
failed on message
'/var/spool/pykolab/wallace/invitationpolicy/incoming/tmpOxKgSQ' with
error: Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wallace/__init__.py", line 65,
in pickup_message
     result_filepath = modules.execute(module, filepath)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wallace/modules.py", line 116,
in execute
     return modules[name]['function'](*args, **kw)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wallace/module_footer.py",
line 81, in execute
     exec('modules.cb_action_%s(%r, %r)' % ('ACCEPT','footer', filepath))
   File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wallace/modules.py", line 276,
in cb_action_ACCEPT
     log.debug(_("recipients: %r") % (recipients))
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pykolab/translate.py", line
29, in <lambda>
     _ = lambda x: current.lgettext(x)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/gettext.py", line 366, in lgettext
     return tmsg.encode(locale.getpreferredencoding())
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe4' in
position 4: ordinal not in range(128)

I remember having had problems with wallace and character encoding
before. I was told it had been fixed and I thought the fixed wallace
would find its way into 3.4
Then again, I dont know if that problem is related or if it is a
different encode error.
HOWEVER, looking at the time I must conclude that those errors still let
the mail be delivered...

-------

these errors did not:

2015-03-22 18:38:39,397 pykolab.wallace ERROR Module
invitationpolicy.execute() failed on message
'/var/spool/pykolab/wallace/resources/incoming/tmpTqfD80' with error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wallace/__init__.py", line 65,
in pickup_message
     result_filepath = modules.execute(module, filepath)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wallace/modules.py", line 116,
in execute
     return modules[name]['function'](*args, **kw)
   File
"/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wallace/module_invitationpolicy.py",
line 243, in execute
     os.rename(filepath, new_filepath)
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

I dont know what went wrong here... I restarted wallace and the missing
mails were delivered, no other errors were shown (except the missing
contents for footer module)

--------

so first of all, if there is something I can do via config files, I'll
gladly try it.
If you need more information, Ill try to supply what you need...

more importantly however, wallace really does offer interesting
possibilities and I really would miss them. but it causes problems on a
regular basis (which is why I did not activate it on the second kolab
server where mails MUST work)

I really hope it gets some love from someone who can give it
(unfortunately, thats not me) and if it does, will get updated with the
current kolab release and not held back for the upcoming one :)

from what little I know about python, maybe wallace would benefit from
errorhandling (try ... except ...) to ensure that if anything breaks at
all wallace doesnt just quit but runs a function (which can handle
logging of the error but more importantly) ensures the email is delivered!

thanks
Mat