managesieve server not found

Jochen Hein jochen at jochen.org
Fri Jul 17 00:08:56 CEST 2015

Matthias Busch <catwiesel at gmx.net> writes:

> Hi,
> I noticed that there is a problem with the filter. apparently
> managesieve server is not running
>
> steps to reproduce for me
> - log in webmail
> - go to settings --> filter
>
> error pops up : "an error accorued. can not connect to managesieve
> server" (paraphrased, my error is in german)
>
> this is happening on two different machines.
>
> any idea where to start looking?

Is the sieve port listening?  I have:
tcp        0      0 *:sieve                 *:* LISTEN      832/cyrus-master

my /etc/cyrus.conf has
# UNIX sockets start with a slash and are put into /var/lib/imap/sockets
SERVICES {
  # add or remove based on preferences
  imap          cmd="imapd" listen="imap" prefork=5
  imaps         cmd="imapd -s" listen="imaps" prefork=1
  #pop3         cmd="pop3d" listen="pop3" prefork=3
  #pop3s                cmd="pop3d -s" listen="pop3s" prefork=1
  sieve         cmd="timsieved" listen="sieve" prefork=0

> any log files which might help?

Something in /var/log/mail.*? Try "grep sieve /var/log/mail.*"

> or better yet, know how to fix?

Do you run all kolab services and roundcube on one machine? I run
roundcube on a different box and had some trouble getting filters to
work.  The local roundcube worked fine...

Jochen

--
The only problem with troubleshooting is that the trouble shoots back.