what versions should be shipped in mga5

Daniel Hoffend dh at dotlan.net
Mon Feb 2 23:21:15 CET 2015

Hello Thomas

> I now need to decide what version of kolab to pack into our new distro
> release.

Are you speaking about the complete kolab package or just single
packages. Do you only want to should a few of the kolab roundcube
plugins that can work with a database driver also without having the
Kolab Ecosystem?

> I would like to use the newest ones since it will be around for about
> 18 months, but there are some
> restrictions:
> We cannot ship a beta of cyrus-imapd nor a beta of roundcubemail.

In understand the limitations and with those limitations you likely get
into trouble when it comes to dependencies between the roundcube version
and the kolab roundcube plugins.

> We will have:
> cyrus-imapd-2.4.17
> roundcubemail-1.0.5
> pykolab-0.7.6  OK?
> roundcube-plugins-kolab-3.1.13; how far can I upgrade? ver. 3.2.x
> needs roundcubemail-1.1.x which is
> beta

I would suggest that you take a closer look at our OBS (OpenBuildSystem)
that contains the last couple of Kolab Release (3.1, 3.2 and 3.3), the
selected upstream versions and or patches that have beend applied to
things that got fixed after the package got its tag.

But that's not a full list of kolab stuff that's needed. White pykolab
is the most important glue (kolab-server, wallace, kolab cli utils,
etc.) you're mising other parts like kolab-wap (webadmin), the 389
directory server, kolab-freebusy, iRony (for the *dav stuff) or
kolab-syncroton (for activesync support). The pykolab package also
contains the config templates for all the initial configuration.

tbh, I'm asking myself why you want include Kolab in general. I would
totally understand if you would include the kolab roundcube plugins
(that can work independently) but not kolab as a complete ecosystem and
then leaving important parts out.

> I would appreciate some help from the developers

Regarding the release cycles. Kolab has a 6 month (+/- a few days)
release cycle and the next kolab release (3.4) will likely be announced
within the next couple weeks in February. I you're forced to not shop
bet versions then I would look into the most stable roundcube release +
the extras. Take the dependencies from the shipped versions of the Kolab
Community releases. Think about the other parts. Does it makes sense to
ship pykolab without the rest? I don't know

The most recent release will work also on Cyrus 2.4.17 (afaik). Sure
you'll be missing some of the new cyrus features (example Sieve Date
Extension) but well. It's stable! From what I've heard on FOSDEM cyrus
2.5 should become stable within the next couple month. But I guess the
distro will not wait for each included project and package to declare a
new stable release just to fit into the timeframe of multiple other
distributions where each has their own release cycle.

It's a good question if you want to ship and maintain the whole kolab
stack for the next 18 month while the community project goes on or just
ships the essentials. That's up to you.

--
Regards
Daniel Hoffend