Repo Server obs.kolabsys.com down

Timotheus Pokorra timotheus at kolab.org
Fri Dec 18 11:00:18 CET 2015

Hello Andrea,

> I follow at the moment closly the comunication regarding future release and
> if I understood all correct CentOS 6 will be not anymore supported/maintined
> for 3.5. If this is true I could actually not really understand this even I
> saw some comunication regarding PHP stuff based on Version 7 etc. Anyway
> there are discussions going on looking Forward what is going on.

The problem is that CentOS6 comes with PHP 5.3.3, which is really old.
The developers want to work with features that come with PHP 5.4.
see the original ticket: https://git.kolab.org/T54

A solution would be to still be using CentOS6, but use a thirdparty
repository to get PHP 5.4 or PHP 5.6.
for example see https://webtatic.com/packages/php56/
Or to use software collections:
https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/scls/rhscl/rh-php56/
I think that is even something more official.

I guess we need to have a matrix who in the community needs support
for which Operating System, and who is willing and able to provide
such support.
I started to make that query in
http://lists.kolab.org/pipermail/devel/2015-November/015383.html, and
have got several replies. There was noone yet volunteering for CentOS6
support.

In general, it should be possible to run the next Kolab on CentOS 6.
But there will be some work involved, as usual...

I might try to look at it, but need someone else to test it properly.

I think I will focus on producing CentOS6, CentOS7 and Fedora 23/24
builds of Kolab 3.5 in February 2016.

hope this makes things clearer,
  Timotheus