More 3.4 calendar woes

Homer Dokes hdokes at mail.inct.net
Thu Aug 20 04:56:42 CEST 2015

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the information.

I can tell you that, at least in this case, this was not a case of
deletion or expunging.  The symptom of missing contacts and calendar
events occurred simultaneously.  The user in this case, does not have
the ability to delete the files from the respective folders in question
here (contacts and calendar events), and in fact, they were still
present in the folders, and not marked for deletion via the flag.  He
obviously does have the ability to do this to actual email (message)
files via any client he has but they were not affected in this case.

You do bring up an interesting reference however.  This user, do many on
this system, does use Outlook as their client on the pc (it never lost
anything) and the iPhone.  Were you able to determine if the user of the
iPhone had initiated the expunging of messages or if it occurred without
initiation by the user?

I was not aware that messages and folders are expunged in 69 days.  This
is good information to know.  Rest assured, we maintain daily backups of
the entire email system which was most advantageous just a few weeks ago
as their file server was hit by a ransomware attack which encrypted all
files.  Fortunately we did not have to pay a ransom because we had daily
backups.

For clarification only, this issue did not affect email messages... only
the users contacts and calendar events.

Thanks again Andy, I really appreciate the information.

hdokes