Roundcube performance

Friedemann Schorer friedemann at schorers.org
Fri Sep 19 19:44:41 CEST 2014

Just joined the list, so please excuse me if this has been mentioned
before. Debian and Ubuntu have a package called imapproxy. I installed
it and had roundcube use it and that dramatically speeded things up
because roundcube frequently logs in and out of the IMAP server, which
takes a lot of time, and imapproxy just opens one connection the the
imap server and keeps it open.

Maybe it's worth a try, I had very positive experiences with it.

Best regards,

Friedemann

Am 19.09.2014 18:45, schrieb Toke Høiland-Jørgensen:

> Enrico Tagliavini <enrico.tagliavini at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> But adding a proxy, so that connection to the imap server is kept for a long time, is removing this delay. Which probably means imapd is actually fast reading messages from the disk, or preloads them (no idea about this, just a guess). So what probably is slow is the operations just after a user login, does this makes sense? I have prefork set to 10 on imapd in cyrus.conf I don't have much clues about how cyrus imap works, so any advise to make it a little bit faster, in a 3 users scenario, is appreciated.
>
> This sounds like it might be related to the 'lock' and 'proc' files that
> cyrus-imapd creates on every user login. I seem to recall having
> horrible performance because of that at some point.
>
> Basically, imapd creates a pid file in /var/lib/imap/proc on every
> login, and a lock file in /var/lib/imap/lock on every folder access. If
> the server is IOPS-limited this can cause large delays. The solution (if
> this is indeed what you're experiencing) is to move these directories to
> tmpfs; either symlink them into an existing tmpfs (such as /dev/shm or
> /tmp depending on your setup), or stick this in your /etc/fstab:
>
> none /var/lib/imap/proc tmpfs defaults 0 0
> none /var/lib/imap/lock tmpfs defaults 0 0
>
> and then mount the directories.
>
> -Toke

Psst - nutzt Du auch schon Bitcoins?
Hier ist eine der sichersten Bitcoin-Börsen zu finden:
https://www.bitcoin.de/de/r/cwz44t

Links:
------