Roles & Groups

Daniel Hoffend dh at dotlan.net
Thu Sep 4 13:54:56 CEST 2014

>That is exactly where I am at.
>I am confused because I am unsure of which way to go and further down
>the line are there any considerations.
>Would be great if the documentation was fleshed out a bit with best
>practices.
I think design best practices would be a good addition to the
architecture and design guide.
But keep in mind. Designing an LDAP Directory for your organization is
basically your job and
that directories can be very different from org to org and therefore you
should be aware on how
different applications that make use of LDAP (postfix, cyrus, rouncube,
kolab-webadmin, and many
other apps, not limited to kolab*).

>Would be great in WAP if you had a choice of group or role drop down
>list on user creation.
That's not possible cause the WAP doesn't know how your directory is
designed. And roles are saved
to within an user object (nsrole attribute) while group membership is
saved withing the group object
(member or memberUid attribute).

And based on your design you must adjust your configuration. But as
stated above some best practices
would be great especially in regards on structure, group and roles.
Maybe someday, someone will update
the docs when all the infos has been compiled together.

>But many thanks for the info.
And don't forget to always answer to the mailing list :-)

--
Regards
Daniel Hoffend