Error connecting to database: SQLSTATE[28000] [1045] Access denied for user 'roundcube'@'localhost'

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Sep 2 12:45:28 CEST 2014

On Tuesday 2. September 2014 11.03.53 Rob Badub wrote:

> Please supply a root password for MySQL. This password will be the
> administrative
> user for this MySQL server, and it should be kept a secret. After this
> setup process has completed, Kolab is going to discard and forget about
> this password,
> but you will need it for administrative tasks in MySQL.
>
> MySQL root password [xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]:
> ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
> ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
> ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
>
> So running the installer renders a problem when installing MySQL. After
> that all fails.

For what it's worth, the work I did on Debian packaging (which would be
somewhat relevant to Ubuntu) disabled MySQL initialisation because that should
be done when MySQL itself is installed and configured on Debian/Ubuntu. (I
don't know what other distributions do when installing MySQL.) Thus, one
unnecessary question is eliminated when running setup-kolab in such an
environment.

As given above, a MySQL root password is still needed to create various
databases and users, and that involves creating a temporary file so that the
MySQL login can occur. There are probably better ways of doing this, but
MySQL's documentation is frequently incoherent and inscrutable.

When setup-kolab finds that temporary file to be missing it will ask you for
the MySQL root password. In general, all this should just work, but I seem to
recall experiencing difficulties with it quite some time ago, although these
were admittedly overshadowed by other behaviour in setup-kolab.

I haven't been spending much time on Kolab recently and cannot really provide
much more insight, particularly with regard to the behaviour of the upstream
packages, but the mechanisms involved are relatively straightforward.

Paul