How to install a working Kolab 3.2 server?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Mar 20 23:23:44 CET 2014

On Monday 17. March 2014 18.22.00 ITSEF Admin wrote:

> - Free-busy does not work even after the change. When logging into
> roundcube, we can create events and add another user to them, but when
> looking at the availability information, it just stays grey.
> kolab-freebusyd.log does not give any hints.
>
> - Free-busy also does not work in Kontact - no availability information is
> shown
>
> - When looking at free-busy in Kontact, I noticed that the installation
> guide contains an error on the "First Login" page. It states:
> "Additional locations for applications installed include:
>  [...]
>         kolab-freebusy: /kolab-freebusy/
> [...]
> "
> On our server, that location results in a 404 page not found. /freebusy/
> seems to exist, though.

Take a look at /etc/apache2/sites-available/kolab-freebusy or the CentOS
alternative (/etc/httpd/conf.d/kolab-freebusy, maybe). Here's what the Debian
version of this file says:

ScriptAlias /freebusy /usr/share/kolab-freebusy/public_html/index.php

Free/busy resources should be published to the indicated location - /freebusy/
if configured as above - and these originate from /var/lib/kolab-freebusy/
which contains the output of the kolab-freebusyd process. That process is
configured in /etc/kolab-freebusy/config.ini (at least on Debian).

According to /etc/cron.d/kolab-freebusy you should see files generated every
fifteen minutes by the daemon, which writes logs to /var/log/kolab-
freebusyd.log as it does its work.

> - The default configuration of the server "out-of-the-box" is not clear to
> us: -- Apparently, some certificates are auto-generated and used - but
> which and why?

I wouldn't mind some clarity about this.

> -- Is 389ds configured to allow anonymous logins? Apparently not, given the
> error messages Kontact comes up with, but is that described somewhere?
>
> There are more problems on the Kontact side, but that's another mail
> (indeed, my colleague has already sent one out last week).
>
> If anyone out there can point us in the right direction (RTFMs most
> welcome) as to what we may have missed during our installation attempts or
> with tips in general, I'd be most grateful!

I think there's definitely some scope for filling in gaps in the
documentation. I see that since you've sent this mail, it looks like you've
given up on Kolab for now, which is a shame. I suppose the above advice is
still useful for others, though, and I'll try and write it up somewhere
sensible.

Apologies for my delayed response: there's only so much time I can spend on
Kolab matters, unfortunately.

Paul