How to install a working Kolab 3.2 server?

ITSEF Admin itsef-admin at brightsight.com
Mon Mar 17 18:22:00 CET 2014

Hi all,

In our ongoing quest to find a working groupware solution we're still looking
into replacing our ageing Kolab 2.x server with a new 3.2 server. Right now,
we are trying to build a minimal test network with the Kolab server (based on
a CentOS 6.5 platform, 64bits, minimal fresh install) and one or two Kubuntu
clients (KDE 4.12.x -> Kontact). The specific aim of this test network is to
test the new Kolab version and - even more imporant - the newer Kontact
version (Kontact has been a constant source of headaches of the past years)
when used with Kolab.

Unfortunately, even just getting a working server installed seems more
difficult than it should be (and I remember 2.x back in the days much easier
to install...). We were following this guide:
http://docs.kolab.org/installation-guide/index.html
and while we're quite certain that we followed it step by step up until
"setup-kolab", the resulting server comes up with a number of problems:

- kolab-freebusyd initially throws a number of errors about an invalid
certificate - there is no information about this in the installation guide,
nor does the installation process ask any questions about this. We were able
to get rid of the errors for now by modifying kolab.conf and changing the uri
line for cyrus
from "imaps://localhost:993" to "imaps://localhost:143" and by allowing
plaintext in imapd.conf (it's a test network, so no encryption needed for now
- we just want to get it working ASAP to determine whether Kontact is finally
mature enough).

- Free-busy does not work even after the change. When logging into roundcube,
we can create events and add another user to them, but when looking at the
availability information, it just stays grey. kolab-freebusyd.log does not
give any hints.

- Free-busy also does not work in Kontact - no availability information is
shown

- When looking at free-busy in Kontact, I noticed that the installation guide
contains an error on the "First Login" page. It states:
"Additional locations for applications installed include:
 [...]
        kolab-freebusy: /kolab-freebusy/
[...]
"
On our server, that location results in a 404 page not found. /freebusy/ seems
to exist, though.

- The default configuration of the server "out-of-the-box" is not clear to us:
-- Apparently, some certificates are auto-generated and used - but which and
why?
-- Is 389ds configured to allow anonymous logins? Apparently not, given the
error messages Kontact comes up with, but is that described somewhere?

There are more problems on the Kontact side, but that's another mail (indeed,
my colleague has already sent one out last week).

If anyone out there can point us in the right direction (RTFMs most welcome)
as to what we may have missed during our installation attempts or with tips in
general, I'd be most grateful!

Regards,

Thomas