Migration from Microsoft Outlook to Kolab

Thinker Rix thinkerix at rocketmail.com
Fri Mar 14 14:28:07 CET 2014

Hi Aleksander,

Thank you for your time!

On 2014-03-14 15:13, Aleksander Machniak wrote:
> On 03/14/2014 02:11 PM, Thinker Rix wrote:
>> Christoph, thank you very much for this idea of yours!
>> I found this: https://kolab.org/about/syncroton and as far as I
>> understand, Kolab can accept ActiveSync connections.As far as I know,
>> ActiveSync is a MS program, which I can install on windows and it should
>> work also with Outlook 2003, isn't it? So with other words: I could just
>> connect with ActiveSync and sync all my stuff to Kolab and I am
>> done?!?!?
>> If that would be true, it would be wonderful and amazingly easy!
>>
>> Is anybody reading who can confirm this/ has already done that and has
>> some experience on it to share with us?
> I can confirm Outlook 2013 (not 2003) works with Kolab using ActiveSync
> protocol. You don't need to install any programs for that.

Great, thank you for the confirmation!
Unfortunately I made a mistake and wrote Outlook 2003, although we are
using 2007. So please allow me to ask again: Do you know if it works
with 200*7*, too? Or only as of 2013?

>   I didn't
> however try to move events/tasks/contacts from one account to another.

I do not understand that; when syncing is done, aren't the data copied
to both places, isn't that the very essence of syncing? So that after
syncing I would just dump the Outlook and continue accessing my data on
Kolab via Roundcube and/or another client such als Kontact?
Or do you mean that you just connect to Kolab via ActiveSync so to
receive your email via ActiveSync - but not the calendar/tasks/contacts
which continue to live on your local Outlook?

Thank you for helping me!

Cheers
Thinker Rix

--