Migration from Microsoft Outlook to Kolab

Thinker Rix thinkerix at rocketmail.com
Fri Mar 14 13:47:04 CET 2014

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your time!

On 2014-03-14 13:59, Daniel Hoffend wrote:
> > But how about the other elements such as contacts, calendar and
> tasks? Is there maybe a similar straight-forward solution for those, too?
>
> Just try to export the Contacts/Calendar as CSV or set of VCards and
> try an import via the roundcube webgui.

Ok!

> for the Tasks. This can be complicated if not impossible cause webgui
> doesn't support import/export of tasks and there's no protocol
> (TaskDAV) or file type that has a common description how tasks are
> beeing saved (compared to .ics or .vcd for calendar and contacts).
>
> It is possible that Outlook can export your tasks to a CSV file but
> i'm nt sure if Kontact is able to import and convert them.

I see. This would be devastating for us, since we heavily work with
tasks :-(
A single user of us has some hundred current tasks, let alone the
completed ones. So I will have to find some solution whatsoever.
Maybe I can write a bash script that takes the .csv and transforms it in
the way that Kolab handles the tasks?! Does anybody know how Kolab saves
it's tasks?

> tbh. I would just install a kolab instance and start playing around
> with it. You don't have to migrate today, so take your time, play
> around with it until you're happy with it. There'll be more questions
> once you start migrating anyway.

Yes, you are surely right, I will need to experiment, test and learn
prior doing the real migration!
But what I try to do with my inquiry here currently is to learn about
all the options and get some advices/tips/hints from users who might
have done similar things before and can give me some starting point with
my experiments. I am sure that there are more than one way and some
might be better than others, so it can't harm to listen to your experiences.

> --
> Regards
> Daniel

Thank you for your help, Daniel!