Migration from Microsoft Outlook to Kolab

Thinker Rix thinkerix at rocketmail.com
Fri Mar 14 01:53:33 CET 2014

Hi Matt,
Thank you for your time!

On 2014-02-20 16:41, Matt Moldvan wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 4:39 AM, Thinker Rix <thinkerix at rocketmail.com
> <mailto:thinkerix at rocketmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 2014-02-19 19:27, Thinker Rix wrote:
>
>         - How do we migrate those .pst files to Kontact/Kolab in the
>         easiest and most solid way? We have seen
>         https://wiki.kolab.org/Microsoft_Exchange but could not really
>         make head or tail of it, since there are multiple solutions
>         listed, but no recommendation and many things seem outdated
>         (speaking about Kolab 2.1 etc.). Further some of the solutions
>         talk about how to migrate MS Exchange, but we do not need
>         that. We have only Microsoft Outlook as stand alone
>         application. So: Could anybody give us a
>         suggestion/hint/advice/feedback on how to migrate from Outlook
>         2007 to Kontact / Kolab 3.1 in the best and easiest way?
>

>     Additional information:
>
>     The users use pop3 as well as IMAP folders inside their personal .pst.
>     1. pop3: The email has been downloaded into their .pst
>     2. IMAP: The email is located at the online mail host
>

> As for PST files, those have been a huge pain in the a$$.  The
> Thunderbird import tools aren't foolproof, especially for larger PST
> files; e.g. I worked with a user that had an 8GB PST.  For that one, I
> used readpst and exported to mbox format,

Could you please give me some additional information on what readpst and
mbox format are and where I can get those?

> then renamed the files as necessary for use in the "Local Folders"
> section of Thunderbird.

So I somehow transfer the mbox-formatted-files to the local folders of
Thunderbird? What about the other data from the .pst, such as calendar,
contacts and tasks?

And how do I continue after having imported everything to Thunderbird -
how do I then push the data to my Kolab server, the place where I want
to have the data at the end?

Thank you for any hint!!

Cheers
Thinker Rix