Documentation for kolab.conf

Daniel Hoffend dh at dotlan.net
Wed Mar 12 15:01:58 CET 2014

And this is one of the major problems! A vanilla installation is getting
shipped with this configuration file (Torsten linked). During the
setup-kolab process this file (same applies to roundcube and other
configuration files as well) is getting replaced by the generated
version using your credentials and settings.

This leads to the fact that you don't have the original example
configuration any more on your system and you've to fall back to the
documentation and then more likely digg into the git system to find it.

I one of my previous mails I suggest rename ALL configuration files in
Git or in the OBS package definition to be named kolab.conf.dist etc.
After your setup is done you still have the original configuration files
and can compare them with your current config.

Same applies to upgrades. You then always have the current .conf and the
default .conf.dist file laying side-by-side and can compare them. I know
Redhat/Centos and Debian have different ways how configuration files are
beeing handled during an update, but the approach of deliver .conf.dist
files would be distribution independent. This way you don't lose your
current configuration if you accidentally press "Yes" during an upgrade
and replace a configuration file without looking at it (applies to
Debian only of course). But this would be a major design change I guess.

greetings
Daniel