Kolab 3.2 Freebusy

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Mar 4 19:19:13 CET 2014

On Tuesday 4. March 2014 11.05.09 Thomas Brüderli wrote:
> Paul Boddie wrote:
> >> I am assuming that is due to changes in Cyrus IMAP 2.5?
> >
> > Cyrus 2.5 seems to support the METADATA extension to IMAP and
> > libcalendaring will use that in preference to the ANNOTATEMORE
> > extension. It appears that when confronted with METADATA support,
> > libcalendaring comes up rather short and cannot formulate commands that
> > Cyrus wants to understand. I imagine that somehow forcing use of
> > ANNOTATEMORE (GETANNOTATION commands) with 2.5 would probably restore
> > the working state as seen in 2.4, but I've submitted a patch to bug
> > #2862 that should at least get libcalendaring working with Cyrus again.
>
> You can "fix" this temporarily in your Kolab 3.2 installation by adding
> the following line to /etc/imapd.conf:
>
>   suppress_capabilities: METADATA
>
> This will force libcalendaring to fall back to the (working)
> GETANNOTATION command until Bug 2862 is fixed and deployed.

This would be nice information for the wiki. I noted on IRC that perhaps there
should be a wiki3.kolab.org like there appears to be a wiki2.dovecot.org,
covering a specific version of the software.

As for fixes, it seemed that the libcalendaring package, which causes this
problem, needed refreshing with later upstream source anyway, and the commit
history seems to indicate that various things really need delivering from
recent commits in order to not cause a fair amount of misbehaviour (like the
pathological reconnect bug that I'd not seen before, perhaps due to a change
in the method of connecting), so I'm probably going to upload some new Debian
packages to an unofficial place and let people play with them.

I don't really have the necessary spare time to push changes into OBS, sadly,
but maybe someone else has the necessary time and patience. My Debian
packaging repositories are here:

http://hgweb.boddie.org.uk/Kolab/

I've also been looking into rejuvenating the Dovecot support - a subject of
your blog a while ago, Thomas - and testing the metadata plugin that seems to
be in Ubuntu but not Debian.

Paul