Debian: Error with 3.1 setup-kolab and mysql setup

Karma Kolabor kolaborista at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 14:55:40 CET 2014

Just to mention:
* I used, of course, fresh debian netinstall iso in vm with only ssh
server installed (and git) for each new test.
* I tried to install in one go with just adding package sources to
/etc/apt/sources.d/kolab.list.
* I tried to install mysql-server first, double-checked that mysql
root password in fact does work.
* I tried both mysql options that setup-kolab asked for (already
installed and new server)
* I tried both mysql options that setup-kolab asked for (already
installed and new server) with pre-installed mysql-server
* I tried to use more complex mysql password at debconf, assuming some
pw checking in the following script fails silently because of too
simple test passwords
* i tried with empty debconf password, assuming that option 2 of
setup-kolab needs empty root password.

And so on, I think i have not left any possibility out, tested about
20 times, no way around that error, install always stops at this
point.

Is there a way to use only parts of setup-kolab? Is it possible to
just each single step and do the mysql setup part manually?

Thanks for your attention,
Karma