Kolab 3.1 Mutidomain script error

Daniel Hoffend dh at dotlan.net
Tue Jan 21 17:51:41 CET 2014

The problem with the multiple messages, howtos and scripts is that every
installation has a different userbase and likely different goals. Not
every installation is similar therefore the configuration looks confusing.

The howtos, scripts are all for guidance, but you've to decide what you
wanna achieve. It all comes down to 2 multi domain scenarios:

* One LDAP Directory for user management (and global address book) but
different alias domains needed
* Multiple LDAP Directory needed to separated multiple hosted kolab
installations (with possibility of multiple alias domains each).

In addition you've the possibility to enrich your installation by adding
shared folders, dynamic distribution list or catchall addresses. All
those usually needs to be configured and taken care of separately.

Some users like to have everything configured and enabled by default
(like catchall), others like to only enable certain options they feel
and see the need for.

There's no one fits for all configuration. It all depends on your
installation.

The scripts/guide of Timo was the first "written" guide and setup script
on how to transform your single directory kolab setup into a multi
directory kolab setup. I like his work and open approach but I dislike
when people just use the script to convert their installations without
actually looking into them or knowing what the script actually changes
and why. This usually leads to problems when troubleshooting errors. The
other scripts are usually adding some ISP features (like enhanced
domainadmin) to the installation (by adding and modifying parts of the
webadmin). For some small-scale installation this might be

That's where the multi-domain howto on docs.kolab.org comes into play:
It was initially written by the kolab team (it's just not yet linked on
the index page) to fill the missing gab the theory which was already
included in the kolab 3.0 and some real world configuration examples. It
should explain you in detail what you've to pay attention to and what
the changes are.

Basically you need to make every kolab component (postfix, cyrus,
webadmin, roundcube) aware of the multi-domain (or lets better call it
multi-directory) setup. You also can decided whether you want to create
a single webadmin instance for all hosted domains or separate them on
multiple domains for every hosted installation. Or do you like to to
install the services on multiple sub domains (caldav.* webmail.* etc).

In the end it's up to you what kind of installation you wanna create.

>From a simple (one directory, multiple domains, no global address book)
up to hosted multiple, separated kolab installations with dedicated
admin users for each kolab instance is everything possible.

--
Regards
Daniel