Side effects of migration scenario - insight needed

ITSEF Admin itsef-admin at brightsight.com
Tue Feb 18 12:03:23 CET 2014

Hi all,

I was wondering whether someone might be able to give some hints with regard
to the following scenario:

Both our Kolab server installation (2.3) and clients (Kontact e35) are way
behind the curve for various reasons. Hence, we will start a migration to
newer versions on both server and client side shortly. However, what has me
worried is what possible unwanted side effects the resulting combinations
during the transition period may or may not have.

We're already using newer Kontact versions (KDE 4.11.3) with our existing
server. What we've seen so far:

- Recurring events (especially existing ones) are a problem - they can
suddenly be off by an hour at daylight savings time change. I've seen some
explanation about this by the Kolab folks (there even is a bug report for it),
but I'm still not certain whether this is caused by the client/server
"mismatch" or by the client/client mismatch - and whether this will be
resolved once everything is on the new version(s)

- We've seen normal events being created by Kontact e35 users off by an hour
in Kontact 4.11.3 - something with time zones, but still not quite sure what

- Free/busy in Kontact 4.11.3 seems VERY iffy - and I just do not know whether
this is due to the outdated server or due to bugs in Kontact (4.11.3 has
improved compared to e35, but has also introduced a bunch of new bugs :-( )

In addition to these - is there anybody out there who knows what we must brace
ourselves for when combining old e35 Kontacts with a Kolab 3.2 server? Can
that be done at all or will we *have to* update the clients first? Is there
anything else we need to be aware of with regard to this migration?

Problem is, the track record of Kontact in our company has been less than
stellar (to put it very mildly), so any problems that pop up now are swiftly
attributed to Kontact and Kolab, fuelling calls to ditch both and move to
something completely different... :-/

Hence, any insight/tips/RTFMs/etc. are most welcome!

Regards,

Thomas