LDAP problem in setup-kolab on openSUSE

Martin Campbell martin at placefarm.com
Wed Dec 3 14:16:30 CET 2014

I'm trying to setup a new Kolab 3.3 server on a new openSUSE 13.1 server.

setup-kolab fails with the following errors in /var/log/kolab/setup.out.log

Creating directory server . . .
Your new DS instance 'asusnero' was successfully created.
Creating the configuration directory server . . .
Error: failed to open an LDAP connection to host
'asusnero.placefarm.com' port '389' as user 'cn=Directory Manager'.
Error: unknown.
Failed to create the configuration directory server
Exiting . . .
Log file is '/tmp/setupB5GpBy.log'

I think I followed all the instructions about fully qualified domain
names (FQDN)
http://docs.kolab.org/installation-guide/preparing-the-system.html#the-system-hostname-and-fqdn

What could be going wrong here? How can I fix it?

Martin