Kolab Webadmin (WAP) 3.3

Stuart Naylor StuartIanNaylor at inbox.com
Sat Aug 23 11:59:46 CEST 2014

Thanks for your input, great idea.

I do still wish that there was a conncurrent license mode.

Just leave the users on there and if someone returns they are just there from last time with no
extra admin duties.

Funding and community activities since the torries and "austerity" have taken a real hit, we are
desparately balancing staying afloat by reducing workload but still offering the same.

I am just playing with the community version at the moment but aim to get a subscription. I am not
trying to dodge expenditure and don't really like having to operate purely due to licensing.

In an ideal world we could have this huge directory but pay honnestly for usage.

I am not of opinion of this is right or wrong or making a dictate.

I just thought I would highlight that our manner of operation in regards to others would be
expotentially more costly based on usuage.

I absolutely adore the Kolab web-interface as for the simple tasks of keeping a tutor intouch with
its class, the ability to set the agenda via a calendar and mabe share the course work through
chwala.
Its just perfect in that 80/20 rule without bloat and also because we are trying to teach the
digitally excluded its simplicity and logical presentation is just a massive plus.

I just had another go at pointing out the ridculous nature of teaching the digitally excluded and
under privelledged M$ Office.
Lancashire county council and their tutors set the course content and funding is available set
against a pool of govenment defined courses.

Don't add anything other than ODF format to chwala. Really wish I could escape the need for M$.

Stuart

Hi Stuart

I just got a fare more simple way ... Create a role "inactive-user" and assign it to the user. Then
modify the ldap filters for roundcube and all other products that they should not allow this role.

I'm currently not at home otherwise i would gave you an example.

--
Best Regards
Daniel Hoffend

StuartIanNaylor at inbox.com[1]>:

Thanks Daniel,

My input with opensource at a volunteer community is already stretched the reason I like WAP is
because its simple enough for HR purposes. It doesn't take a sysadmin to deal with users.
Enough of my time is taken with the setup of servers and infrastructure and the solution proposed
would add to much workload on me. I cant do everything for free as I also have other essential
paid clients aswell.

Also being a noob with Kolab I haven't tried this yet but the desktops are windows7 (please I have
had so many battles with lancashire county council on this). Anyway again with an idea on
simplicity I can use the winsync & passsync functionailty of 389-DS to a 2012 AD.

If I start changing OU's and moving accounts firstly this is fine by me but above the trust level I
have for the other staff at the center.
Also by creating other OU's to splt with active / inactive just adds to the complexity of
synchronisation.

I was just a bit surprised that user=enabled isn't part of the kolab WAP my logic for various uses
is one of those fundementals.

Just an opinion and some feedback, I guess its my arena of SMB I am a system implementor not a
sysadmin there isn't the revenue for a sysadmin.

Stuart