Kontact without KDE -> slow bloatware

Stuart Naylor StuartIanNaylor at inbox.com
Thu Aug 21 17:56:29 CEST 2014

Lol, well we all have an opinion.

My objective is to ween people off outlook and whilst my main objective is the roundcube inteface
& BYOD connections I know I will still have occasions where I have diehard desktop outlook users.

You are probably right it is a bit bloatish but it ticks every box and by the looks of things will mean
I will not be caught in the trap of no sorry it can't do that.

Hardware is so cheap and plentifull that I never really think of ram considerations. I was once a
big recycling advocate but when you do the math on energy consumption and support of old
hardware just doesn't make sense.

Yeah I found that with non KDE desktops its not great and I am not usually a KDE fan. At least it
got me trying some new distro's and Netrunner, Mageia and Mint kde seemed very responsive.

I like Bodhi and enlightment if your going the small system way, there is nothing small about it
apart from its footprint.
I would even say from use of both Bodhi might even pip LXDE but its all opinion.

If you where going to use Kontact on windows for whatever rationale of madness does anyone
have any tips on maybe speeding things up. Can you preload the KDE framework?

Stuart

On Thursday 21 August 2014 15:45:32 hede wrote:
> Am Thu, 21 Aug 2014 11:54:57 +0100 schrieb Stuart Naylor <StuartIanNaylor at inbox.com>:
> > Just wondered on windows if there are any tips to preload it on start as
> > the only critisism is its start time.
>
> Not only with Windows, but even on Linux if you are not using KDE.
>
> I prefer LXDE or awesome. Small resp. really small windows managers.

> footprint of the fully loaded system (including a browser and a simple mail
> program!).
>
> regards
> hede

Can't remember your password? Do you need a strong and secure password?
Use Password manager! It stores your passwords & protects your account.
Check it out at http://mysecurelogon.com/manager